A little late, I know, but True Life: I need a Transplant review.




This monday started a new season of MTV's documentary series True Life (which incidentally is like the only thing MTV is good for anymore). In this episode, a young man and a young woman both need transplants in order to survive.

Craig is a newlywed with Leukemia, and Morgan needs a new Kidney. The episode is one of these days most serious topics (really: "I'm under Peer Pressure" "I'm Graduating High School" "I Don't Fit In" "I'm Jealous". There's nothing special about any of those topics. Because I'm 99.9% sure everyone has been all of these things. Come on son.). I didn't cry or tear up during the episode but I did feel for the Craig and Morgan. Morgan was getting a kidney from her mom. I distinctly remember her saying that even though her sister has a better chance of a matching type kidney, she was going to get one from her mother because "was afraid of needles". Right. Bitch. Wait, that's not right. I'm not sure what I would say if a sibling asked me for an organ... After she got her transplant, she had to take pills twice a day for the rest of her life to keep the new kidney working. I was like WHAAAAT?!? IS U SERIOUS MORGAN?!? Morgan was surprisingly calm and optimistic for someone about to be sliced open, organs ripped out, and another one jammed in there.

But that's just a kidney. Extracting bone marrow? Yikes. Long story short they jam a needle in your hip bone and suck out the red stuff on the inside. Craig's brother was the one to donate the bone marrow to him. After the procedure was over Craig and his wife and mom were just sitting in his hospital room and I started to wonder how a parent must feel when their child gets sick or is born sick? I hate kids. I will never know. This reminds me of that book My Sisters Keeper. Well, everything except for the brother being born just to keep the other one alive. That is messed up. Well I can gladly say that both Morgan and Craig lived. Craig's white blood cell count went up. Morgan's kidney was working pretty fine and she moved out of her parents house and went to college. The last thing I remember in the episode that I really care to talk about was when Craig was getting the medicine he needed injected into his heart. He said that he could taste the meds even though they went straight into his mouth. What.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top